Come 2009, the Google Android will be seen on all major mobile phones. It was unveiled on November 5, 2008 but will come into use next year. Google will release the Android platform available under the Apache free-software and open-source license. That means it is absolutely free to use.
What is Google Android?
No, android is not a mobile phone which most people have assumed. But it is a operating system and software platform for mobile devices. It will based on the Linux operating system. Developers can write applications using Java Programing languages. The Android will be jointly developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance.
In simple terms, it will be like Symbian and Windows Operating system found in mobile phones.
Features of Google Android
1. Android will supports all common media formats for videos, songs and pictures. Such as MPEG-4, H.264, MP3, AAC, AMR, JPEG, PNG, GIF.
2. Network Capabilities – It will support all the present cell phone network providers namely GSM / EDGE, CDMA, EV-DO, UMTS. It will also feature Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity.
3. Unlimited and diverse applications – Since its a freeware software, anyone can make applications using the java programming language and share it with others. This is the main and will be the most important selling point of Google android.
4. Messaging features – Supports text and picture SMS, MMS and the new XMPP (directly contact with other people without any software like Yahoo messenger or Skype)
5. Google Android will provide enhanced utilization of GPS services combined with Google maps. Very helpful in finding your way.
6. Display – The platform will be adaptable to all mobile phones display layouts. Provided it has a color screen and GPRS enabled.