Harman Kardon AVR Series reviews – the ultimate sound and video experience
The legendry audio brand Harman Kardon owned by the Harman international in 2009 launched 3 ultimate Audio Video Receivers or AVRs as they are known popularly. The company made their debut deliberately at a time when more than half population in the US watches TV in HD. Using only a HDTV out of the box to watch TV is degrading the quality actually being offered from the service provider. In order to maximize the quality and experience one needs install proper audio systems and AVRs, and only after that one can expect to get the most out of your HD TV subscription. Moreover they even help you bridge two technologies like they will let you input sound from your favorite mp3 player as well.
Before starting with the Harman Kardon AVR reviews we would like to mention that the company’s three AVR models are namely Harman Kardon AVR 3600 which is the top end model, Harman Kardon AVR 2600 and Harman Kardon AVR 1600, the starting range. Undoubtedly the AVR 3600 is the by far the best AVR in the industry and the most expensive of the three, this device comes loaded with Harman Kardon’s proprietary technology called The Bridge III, it will let you pull out music and video from you iPods and iPhones, let you navigate on high resolution HD menus, play HD videos and will even upscale non-HD video content to a full 1080P resolution.
Both AVR 3600 and AVR 2600 feature crystal clear Dolby technology to produce consistent and clear sounds. All models from the Harman Kardon stable follow the company’s traditions of maintaining high performance standards in equipments. The devices feature Harman Kardon’s proprietary EzSet system, which makes setting up these AVR systems are a child’s play, as soon as the device is plugged in, the user is very well guided by the full color on screen instructions, only the AVR 1600 comes with text only instructions.
After the Harman Kardon AVR reviews we were pretty sure that each receiver helps make each sound track sound better, the speaker power ranges from 50 to 80 watts for all the seven channels, and the unit’s design and finish are similar to all other Harman Kardon product line ups. We think it is important to share the entire specifications of the product range.
All three AVRs offer unmatched audio and video outputs; the entire range supports Logic 7, 5.1 and 7.1 for both music and cinema.
Common features in the Harman Kardon AVR 1600/AVR 2600/AVR3600:
- Amplifier Output: 50W/channel for AVR 1600; 65W/channel for AVR 2600; 80W/channel for AVR 3600. 20Hz to 20 kHz bandwidth, high current capacity and all-discrete amplifier circuitry.
- Audio DSP Section: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, Dolby PLIIx, DTS®, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-ES® Discrete, DTS NEO:6, DTS 96/24 and DTS 96 kHz/7.1Ch., Logic 7, 5.1 and 7.1 for cinema and music.
- Video DSP Section: Cross-conversion via component to HDMI (all input to HDMI for the AVR 2600 and AVR 3600)
- Audio Inputs: 6/8 channel direct, portable music player via 3.5 standard mini-jack, five analog L/R (rear), one analog L/R (front) and S/P-DIF inputs.
- Audio Outputs: Three analog out L/R (rear), pre-outs and headphone out.
- Video Inputs: Three rear and one front composite video, two rear high-bandwidth component video (configurable).
- Video Outputs: One composite video output for front and rear, and one for receiver (VID1).
- HDMI Inputs/Outputs: Three inputs and one output.
- Digital Inputs/Outputs: Two coaxial and optical rear inputs, one coaxial and optical front input, one coaxial rear output.
- General Features: USB port for firmware/DSP updates and upgrades, compressed music enhancer and EzSet/EQ.
The Harman Kardon AVR 2600 (AVR 1600 + additional) features:
- Audio DSP Section: Dolby Volume
- Video DSP Section: Faroudja® “Torino” video scaler/enhancer, upscale from composite to component video or HDMI™, up converts to 720P, 1080i through component or up to 1080p through HDMI™. Menu system rendered directly in HD up to 1080p
- HDMI Inputs/Outputs: Four inputs and one output, assignable component video ports
- Audio Inputs: iPod charging, control via AVR menus and playback of audio or HD and SD video via The Bridge III (not included), SIRIUS Satellite Radio®-ready
- Audio Outputs: Configurable back amps for 7.1 or Zone II output
- General Features: Remote In/Out, MR remote In, one switched AC outlet
The Harman Kardon AVR 3600 (AVR 1600 + AVR 2600 + additional) features:
- The Bridge III, included for charging, control and audio/HD video playback from compatible iPod and iPhone products.
- Additional Custom Features: Full multi-room audio system with Zone II remote included, preamplifier outputs for all channels and A-BUS/ready™